Dr. Fan Yao is currently an Assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Central Florida. His research interests are in the areas of computer architecture, hardware security, automated vulnerability analysis, security of emerging computing infrastructure and its applications, and energy efficient computing.
Dr. Yao received his Ph.D. in Computer Engineering from The George Washington University (advised by Prof. Guru Prasadh Venkataramani). He earned his bachelor degree in Software Engineering from Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China.
For students: if you are interested in working with me, please contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org
- I was in the NSF Workshop on Side and Covert Channels in Computing Systems (03/22)
- travel to Vienna, Austria for the HPCA 2018 conference (02/24).
- one paper got accepted in HOST 2018 as poster (01/30).
- Fan Yao, Jingxin Wu, Guru Venkataramani and Suresh Subramaniam, TS-BatPro: Improving Energy Efficiency in Data Centers by Leveraging Temporal-spatial Batching, to appear in IEEE Transactions on Green Communications and Networking (accepted) (IEEE TGCN'18).
- Bingqian Lu, Sai Santosh Dayapule, Fan Yao, Jingxin Wu, Guru Venkataramani, Suresh Subramaniam, PopCorns: Power Optimization using a Cooperative Network-Server approach for Data Centers, In the Proceedings of 27th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, Hangzhou, China (ICCCN'18). [pdf]
- Fan Yao, Hongyu Fang, Milos Doroslovacki and Guru Venkataramani, WiP: Towards a Stronger Indicator for Detecting Cache Timing Channel, In Annual Workshop on Hardware and Architectural Support for Security and Privacy held in conjunction with ISCA 2018, Los Angeles, California (HASP'18).
- Fan Yao, Milos Doroslovacki and Guru Venkataramani, Are Coherence Protocol States vulnerable to Information Leakage?, In the 24th IEEE International Symposium on High-Performance Computer Architecture, February, 2018, Vienna, Austria (HPCA'18). (pdf)(short-video)
- Hongyu Fang, Sai Santosh Dayapule, Fan Yao, Milos Doroslovacki and Guru Venkataramani, Prefetch-guard: Leveraging Hardware Prefetchers to Defend against Cache Timing Channels (short paper), In IEEE International Symposium on Hardware Oriented Security and Trust, April, 2018, Washington, DC (HOST'18). (pdf)
- Fan Yao, Yongbo Li, Yurong Chen, Hongfa Xue, Tian Lan and Guru Venkataramani, StatSym: Vulnerable Path Discovery through Statistics-guided Symbolic Execution, In the Proceedings of 47th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, 2017, Denver, CO (accepted 49 out of 220 submissions) (DSN'17). (pdf)(demo)
- Fan Yao, Guru Venkataramani and Milos Doroslovacki, Covert Timing Channels Exploiting Non-Uniform Memory Access based Architectures, In the Proceedings of 27th edition of the ACM Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI, 2017, Banff, Canada. (accepted 48 out of 197 submissions) (GLSVLSI'17). (pdf)
- Fan Yao, Jingxin Wu, Guru Venkataramani and Suresh Subramaniam, TS-Bat: Leveraging temporal-spatial batching for data center energy optimization, In the Proceedings of GLOBECOM, December 2017, Singapore (GLOBECOM'17). (pdf)
- Fan Yao, Jingxin Wu, Suresh Subramaniam and Guru Venkataramani, WASP: Workload Adaptive Energy-Latency Optimization in Server Farms using Server Low-Power States, In the Proceedings of 10th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing, 2017, Honolulu, HI (IEEE CLOUD'17). (pdf)
- Hongfa Xue, Yurong Chen, Fan Yao, Yongbo Li, Tian Lan and Guru Venkataramani. SIMBER: Eliminating Redundant Memory Bound Checks via Statistical Inference, In the 32nd International Conference on ICT Systems Security and Privacy Protection, May 2017 (IFIP-SEC'17). (pdf)
- Fan Yao, Hongyu Fang, Guru Venkataramani and Milos Doroslovacki. Hardware-based Cache Auditing to Aid Cache Timing Channel Detection, In TECHCON, SRC, Austin, TX, 2017 (TECHCON'17).
- Yongbo Li, Fan Yao, Tian Lan and Guru Venkataramani. SARRE: Semantics-Aware Rule Recommendation and Enforcement for Event Paths on Android, In IEEE Transaction on Information Forensics and Security 11(12):2748-2762, 2016 (TIFS'16). (pdf)
- Yongbo Li, Fan Yao, Tian Lan and Guru Venkataramani. Semantics-Aware Rule Recommendation and Enforcement for Event Paths on Android, In the Proceedings of SecureComm (Poster), October 2015 (SecureComm'15). (pdf)
- Fan Yao, Jingxin Wu, Guru Venkataramani and Suresh Subramaniam, A Dual Delay Timer Strategy for Optimizing Server Farm Energy, In the Proceedings of the IEEE CloudCom, 2015, Vancouver, BC (CloudCom'15). (pdf)
- Fan Yao, Jingxin Wu, Guru Venkataramani and Suresh Subramaniam, A Comparative Analysis of Data Center Network Architectures, In the Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications, 2014, Sydney, Australia (ICC'14). (pdf)
- Fan Yao, Jie Chen and Guru Venkataramani, JOP-alarm: Detecting Jump-oriented Programming-based anomalies in applications (short paper), In the Proceedings of the 31st IEEE International Conference on Computer Design, Asheville, NC. (ICCD'13). (pdf)
- Jie Chen, Fan Yao and Guru Venkataramani, Watts-inside: A Hardware-Software Cooperative Approach for Multicore Power Debugging, Proceedings of the 31st IEEE International Conference on Computer Design, Asheville, NC. (ICCD'13). (pdf)
- Program Committee Member (Shadow) at EuroSys'19
- Selection Committee Member at MICRO'18 ACM SRC
- Program Committee Member at ICDIS 2018
- Conference reviewer/sub-reviewer: GLSVLSI'18, HiPC'17, GLSVLSI'17, HASP'17, IPDPS'16, HASP'16, ICCD'15, ICCD'14
- Journal Reviewer: IEEE TCC'18, HASS'18, ICT Express'18, JISA'18, ICT Express'17, JISA'17, JCSS'16, JCSS'15
- NSF Workshop on Side and Covert Channels in Computing Systems (Volunteer, 2018)
- NSF CISE CAREER Workshop (Volunteer, March/2016)
- Invited presentation at the ATARC Federal Mobile Computing Summit/Fed Summits, 2015
- NSF GW I-Corps Site Grant Award, 2018
- GWU SEAS R&D Showcase 2nd Place in Experimental Research, 2018
- NSF Student Travel Grant, HPCA'18
- The Norris & Betty Hekimian Engineering Endowment Fellowship, GWU, 2017
- National Endeavor Scholarship, HUST, 2010
Office: 359 Harris Engineering Center (HEC)
College of Engineering and Computer Science
University of Central Florida